The Delusional Pancreas
Tony Cervati is an award winning mountain bike rider who has been dealing with Juvenile Diabetes since he was eight years old.

In June of 2011 Tony is going to be the first Type 1 diabetic to participate in a race called the Tour Divide. The race covers the 2,745 miles of Adventure Cycling Association's Great Divide Mountain Bike Route running from Banff, AB CA to Antelope Wells, NM. Tour Divide is the longest and toughest mountain bike race on the planet being 96% off road, covering 200,000 ft of elevation change, and it must be completed completely unassisted.

Having a Type 1 diabetic challenge a race course of this magnitude that covers some of the roughest and most remote areas of North America, crossing mountains, snow fields, and desserts is no small challenge. Although Tony has a host of motivating reasons driving him to do this, he main goal is crystal clear.

He wants every Juvenile Diabetic to know that NOTHING can stop a Type 1 Diabetic from their dreams.


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The sweet things in life: Starburst jellybeans and the Navigator

So, did you all get to read about the adventures of Tony Cervati?
For some reason, everytime I say or write him name, the song   David Duchovny, Why Don't You Love Me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP5wsSXY8w   pops in my mind...
Anyway, Tony and I decided to meet after his meeting with ADA in DC.
What did they meet about you wonder? Stay tuned.
Okay, he wanted to know if Bret Michael really has bright blue eyes or are they contacts.
Can't believe he got a meeting about that? Just sayin.
So, around 8P, Tony drives past my house, my daughter  "L" said that must be him, there's a bike on top of his car.
Yup, and there was also a bike in his car!
If I looked really hard, I probably would of seen a bike hidden in his ear.
Tony and I hugged, and I must admit, a chill went through my body, warm and tingly all over, why? I felt his Navigator. The Navigator on his upper arm.. So oval, so gray, so damn beautiful.
Tony doesn't even need tape on top, I think deep down he doesn't want to "hold the Navi" back.
As many of you know, I'm obsessed  with the Navigator.
"L's" broke.
Some women dream of diamonds, I dream of Navigators.
"L" heard me going on about the Navi one day, and she said "You love the Navigator so much, why don't you marry it"
Well, you know what?
I would If I could.
I compare the Navi to a man.
It may take him ten hours to warm up, but after that, BAM, full force.
Stuck on you, protective, powerful, doesn't talk much, except for a beep, yea, freaking perfection.
Back to Tony and "L"
"L" met Tony, and he was so sweet and polite.
She showed him her pump, the Pink Ping,  and Tony showed her his cozmo pump.
Tony was teasing her about games being on the pump, and how if you win, it gives you insulin.
She thought it was hysterical, and has brought it up a gazillion times, thanks Tony.
After "L" said goodbye, Tony and I headed to the hotel to get down to work.
When we got to the hotel, the first thing about Tony I noticed was has long and big it was.
The tubing of his pump people, geez.
It upset me, It made me sad, when my daughter gets older, will there be a cure, will Dr. Damiano's Artificial Pancreas be out, or will she need such cumbersome tubing.
I found out that from the day Tony was in the hospital, he had to do all his own shots.
He was on NPH and Regular for years.
He had four seizures in his life, and he was never told to carry around fast acting with him.
I asked him if he lives in fear of seizures, he looked at me like I was crazy.
Fear is a word that is blacked out in Tony's dictionaries.
We decided that we would talk, then get something to eat.
I looked at the Navi, and was shocked at how he stayed in the gray line, never hovering above
120.  No spike, nothing.
Tony has a whole system that he developed for years to accomplish this.
That will be in a future post.
So we talked for hours, then I  noticed that Tony had that weird look in his eye.
A look that only people with Type One in their families would notice.
But how?
The Navigator was sitting in arms length of me, it didn't beep.
I gently picked up the Navigator and it said 59!
I'm like "Tony, do a blood stick, why didn't it beep, it always beeps!"
Tony told me that he turned the low alarm off!
I'm fuming inside.
This man is blessed with a lifesaving device, and the low alarm is turned off?
Anyway, I got into "mom" mode and made him check his blood sugar.
Yup, he was about a 54.
I started panicking, Tony told me not to panic, he started eating starburst jelly beans, lots of them.
I had the receiver in my hand, waiting for it to budge.
About 25 minutes later, it started to rise.
Throughout the whole time, I was freaking, Tony was totally, totally calm.
Diabetes is lows and highs, there is no rhyme or reason sometimes, it happens.
Nothing is going to happen if you treat the low.
I was very, very impressed with how he dealt with the situation.
The next time "L" has a low, I'm going to replay that event in my mind.
We decided to call it a night, and I would meet him in the morning to discuss more of his upcoming projects.
As I was riding in the car, I was sad, happy, scared and inspired.
Tony is going to ride this "crazy race" he's going to ride like hell, he's going to be the first Juvenile Diabetic to do something like this, and when he gets to Mexico, I'm going to be sad, happy, scared, but most important, inspired

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering lately about why some people are terrified of hypoglycemia and others aren't.
    Personally, I try to avoid them but don't fear them- I'm more scared of high blood sugars that might cause problems down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonah!
    First, you have helped me tremendously from CWD!
    Personally, I'm terrified about low blood sugar for more daughter, but I'm equally as terrified as high blood sugar.
    I guess the reason I'm afraid, is that the high if treated aggressively and quickly, which I can, thanks to the CGMG, wont cause an immediate emergency, where a low can.
    Also, I believe alot of this is learned behavior from the way I was taught when my daughter was dx. I think the best way for all to dear with the dreaded low, is like you and Tony... don't panic.. treat it, wait ten to fifteen minutes, then retreat. Watching Tony with his low, and not freaking, just treating, was very comforting.
    Also, Jonah, I don't care what the nay'sayers say, we wont need to worry about high blood sugars in about six years.. Dr. Damiano will have the AP running by then, and this crazy roller coaster ride will be a thing of the past, sort of like MYSPACE and the VCR!!

    ReplyDelete